Hey, everyone! I’m back with another episode of the Modern CEO podcast because I made it my goal to keep these episodes coming regularly for you! And since goal-setting is actually one of the topics of today’s episode, I’m going to tell you my secret to actually hitting those goals.
And, no, it’s not cheating!
Effectively tracking your progress is actually the best way to help you manage those goals. Not only does it keep you on top of what still needs to get done, but it’s also an awesome way to keep yourself motivated. If you’re a list-maker, you already know how satisfying it is to check off those boxes, so it won’t surprise you when I say that measuring progress has been shown to improve happiness levels!
Speaking of goals, one of my major goals for the past few years has been to read 50 books (or more!) in a year. This is the first year that I’ve actually been on track to achieve this goal, so I am VERY excited!
Why reading? Let me tell you!
One thing that a lot of successful people have in common is that they read a lot. And I’m not talking V.C. Andrews paperbacks, either – they choose books that help them shift their ways of thinking, learn new skills, or take a more visionary approach to their industry.
In this episode, I’m going to:
- Give you some recommendations for some great books that can help you build your business – as well as a few bonus personal development picks
- Help you get the most out of your reading by sharing some of my best tips for super-organized note-taking, whether you’re reading digitally or kicking it old-school
- Give you the low-down on some of the best reading-related apps that will help you fit more books into your busy schedule
Keep your pen and paper handy for this one!
Let’s Get Started!
2:44 What gets measured gets managed
5:30 The Blinkist app vs Kindle samples
8:40 Note-taking – get the most out of your reading!
10:15 WhisperSync it when you can’t read it!
11:43 Get into Goodreads!
12:15 Amber’s Amazing Book List of 2017 (So far!)
Mentioned in this episode:
- Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose by Tony Hsieh
- Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living by Shauna Niequist
- The Brain Audit: Why Customers Buy (and Why They Don’t) by Sean D’Souza and John Forde
- Covert Persuasion: Psychological Tactics and Tricks to Win the Game by Kevin Hogan and James Speakman
- Ask, by Ryan Levesque: Key Takeaways, Analysis & Review: The Counterintuitive Online Formula to Discover Exactly What Your Customers Want to Buy
- The Happiness Equation: Want Nothing + Do Anything=Have Everything by Neil Pasricha
- Hit Makers: The Science of Popularity in an Age of Distraction by Derek Thompson
- The 12 Week Year: Get More Done in 12 Weeks than Others Do in 12 Months by Brian P. Moran and Michael Lennington
- Business Brilliant: Surprising Lessons from the Greatest Self-Made Business Icons by Lewis Schiff
- E-Squared: Nine Do-It-Yourself Energy Experiments That Prove Your Thoughts Create Your Reality by Pam Grout
- The Productivity Project: Accomplishing More by Managing Your Time, Attention, and Energy by Chris Bailey
- Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers by Timothy Ferriss
- No Limits: Blow the CAP Off Your Capacity by John C. Maxwell
- Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough